Located in Bryn Mawr, PA Lifecycle WomanCare is one of the oldest and largest community-based birth centers in the country. Starting in 1978, the organization’s mission was to provide safe and extraordinary care for pregnant persons and their families. With support and guidance from a Board of Directors, the clinical staff currently provides pregnancy, newborn, lactation and well-person gynecology care for clients throughout the greater Philadelphia region. Mental health services onsite will begin in late 2022. LWC is fully accredited by the Commission for the Accreditation of Birth Centers and licensed by the PA Department of Health.
Over the last four decades, LWC has evolved to meet the changing needs of the community served while holding fast to its mission of providing the highest level of care. Demand for services continues to grow because of LWC’s high quality of care and long-standing positive profile in the region. Revenue is primarily from insurance reimbursement. Additional revenue comes from individual donations and foundation support.
LWC reached 14,000 births in 2022. In 2022, we anticipate serving close to 3000 unique clients and supporting approximately 620 births, both in the birth center and the nearby community hospital. There is a satellite out-patient office in South Philadelphia. Our clinical staff includes midwives, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and lactation consultants. The midwives have clinical practice privileges at Bryn Mawr Hospital.
LWC has a robust lactation program as well as a thriving education department. Educators facilitate parent support groups and teach classes. These activities support LWC’s holistic approach to care which affords families the opportunity to maintain their connection with LWC. Additionally, LWC is a teaching site for midwifery and WHNP students as well as for undergraduate nursing students from local universities.
The organization is now at a critical juncture in its organizational life. We have added a new building for further development of our education program, and added exam rooms to our existing clinical building. With high quality clinical services and a loyal group of supporters, the Board believes it is the right time to expand LWC’s healthcare and educational services to meet the pregnancy and gynecology needs of increasingly diverse populations across different stages of their lives.
This is an exceptional opportunity to provide clinical leadership as the Director of Clinical Services at LWC. You will lead and further develop a clinical team that is highly committed to a midwifery model of care, in an organization with a strong track record of success. This position offers the promise of making a remarkable and tangible impact on the lives of many more people and communities. The position reports to the Executive Director.
- Supports the mission, vision and values of Lifecycle WomanCare
- Supports a goal of physiologic birth and the midwifery model of care
- Willingness to obtain Pennsylvania midwifery certification, licensure, and prescriptive authority
- Master’s degree in relevant field(s)
- Current NRP and CPR certification
- Current DEA license
- Meets all other requirements for employment by Lifecycle WomanCare, including all necessary background clearances
- 5-10 years full scope midwifery practice
- Minimum of 2 years experience with community birth and/or physiologic birth in a low acuity hospital setting
- Supervisory experience including hiring and mentoring of clinicians
- Ability to interpret budgetary information and experience with establishing clinical budget for past practice(s)
- Experience with establishing and evaluating clinical practice guidelines, risk management/quality assurance programs
- Experience working with a nonprofit board of directors
- Comfortable working with collaborative team, including the LWC Medical Director
- Experienced in effective and sensitive communication with clients, family members, physicians and other healthcare personnel
- Demonstrated commitment to working pro-actively on issues related to equity, cultural competence, and addressing bias in the healthcare environment
The Director of Clinical Services is responsible for the establishment, oversight, and implementation of Lifecycle’s clinical operations. They serve on the Leadership Team and participate in the overall management and planning for Lifecycle WomanCare. The Director is well-supported by a high functioning administrative team.
Core Responsibilities Include
- Hiring, evaluation, and termination of all clinical staff
- Collaborates with other clinical managers, including the Lead Midwife and Lead Clinical Nurse to enable smooth and safe clinical operations
- Works closely with the Executive Director in matters of organizational leadership, direction, planning, and decision-making
- Provides reports on clinical functioning including statistics, budget implementation, quality assurance activities and other relevant topics to the Executive Director, the Board, and the Clinical Committee of the Board
- Directs and evaluates the risk management/quality assurance program at Lifecycle, meeting all requirements for the PA Patient Safety Authority
- Responsible for obtaining/maintaining national accreditation, state licensure, and any other state or federal regulations/certifications required for birth centers
- Directs all aspects of the collaborative relationship with transfer hospital(s), collaborative physicians, the LWC Medical Director, and other healthcare facilities Lifecycle interacts with for client care
Please send a cover letter and your resume to: LWCSearch@lifecyclewomancare.org